3 Reasons You Might Require A Paternity Attorney In Shawnee, Ks

byAlma Abell

As much as you may have wanted your family to stay together, sometimes divorces, separations, or breakups are inevitable. When there is a child involved, things can become very complex as it relates to finances and other legal requirements. For this reason, it may be necessary for you to seek the services of a paternity attorney in Shawnee, KS. They can assist you in getting what you need for your child so that you can continue to raise them accordingly.

Paternity Never Determined


One of the main reasons that people reach out to paternity lawyers is to determine initial paternity of a child. If your ex has suddenly started denying or questioning their relationship to your child, it may be necessary to obtain a paternity test. While some people can agree outside of court to take a test, sometimes the non-custodial parent is not willing to take a test, and may have to by order of a judge. Your paternity lawyer will guide you through this process.

In Need of Financial Assistance

If you had a child and the other parent did not sign the birth certificate, or you had them out of wedlock, it can be very difficult to receive financial assistance such as child support. In order for the courts to order your ex to make payment to your child, they need to first determine paternity to ensure that your ex is, in fact, the biological parent. If you’re having a hard time securing child support, it may be ideal to have a paternity lawyer assist you.

Child Needs Medical Insurance

There are so many children today without proper medical insurance. If you’ve found your child in a similar situation, you may legally request that the courts have your ex contribute to the child’s medical insurance or place your child on their existing policy. However, in order to achieve this, you will need to determine paternity.

As you can see, there are a lot of reasons that you might require the assistance of a paternity attorney in Shawnee, KS. For more information on family court laws in your area, or to receive assistance in determining paternity of your child.